Now that there has been some time to look back on my first release, I wanted to put down some notes about what I think went well, and what did not. Basically, do a post-mortem and look forward to my next project and try to avoid some of the pitfalls in the future. From an overall perspective the main feeling is one of relief. The thing really took me 4 years to complete, so it feels good to just be done. I also am a bit in awe that I can see this on sites like Spotify and Google music. When I first picked up a bass and got involved in a band some 20 years ago, it just wouldn’t even be possible. Now that does not mean it will be a hit or anything, but that is amazing that it is possible to have my music, created in my own studio, available world wide.
What Did Not Go Well
I want to start with the bad and get it out of the way. The first one that I hit on earlier is that it took way too long. Between figuring out equipment, procrastinating for gear I might or might not buy, and questioning how good the songs were, I just never got around to seriously putting it down on “tape”. I am not saying that the songs are earth shattering in any sense, but I liked them and three of them were done this year anyway. I need to go with my gut instinct on what I want to add, or maybe figure out a way to find someone for an outside perspective or a producer. I also did not do a good job of getting my initial levels when doing the initial tracking. A couple of the mixes had to be pulled way down in order not to clip. Lastly, was my inexperience in getting art work, attempting digital distribution and really how I can market it overall. My brother was a big help with the cover and Routenote made it easy to get it to distribution, but I am still really not sure how to begin marketing my own work. Again, I am not looking for this to be a hit, but after a month it has under 100 listens with the last track under 10. So I will need to continue to figure that out for the future. Kind of hard to scrape together some gear money if I cannot even find people to listen for free! 🙂
What Did Go Well
The best part is that I eventually got down what I heard in my head. I put together five tracks that are reasonably coherent, show a moderate level of skill, and sound in the ballpark to those musicians who release music at a level that I can only dream. I did it using an $80 interface, a $60 DAW, and a $400 guitar. I did get to borrow a Mackie control surface and a bass guitar which made the finished product easier and sound better. I used Routenote to sucessfully get digital distribution to a bunch of platforms. Finally, I have to say finishing felt awesome! In the end I am proud of what I created and I since I’ve worked one of the song from the beginning it is pretty crazy to hear how I first recorded and how I can do now. Now I can say I’m not working on my EP, I have finished my EP! It makes me want to find more amateurs releasing music.
Music to listen to: Echolapse. Check them out on their Soundcloud account. I do not know much about them yet, but I love the tracks they have posted.
I hope this sparks some inspiration for you!