A week or so back I got some acoustic foam from a friend cleaning out their storage space. There were two reasons that as I put this up I wanted to make sure it could come down easily without damaging the walls; I’m basically borrowing the foam and second I’m not sure of location since I’ve not done this before. So I did the usual “OK Google” and while there were many suggestions of where to locate the pieces and discussion of what was the best to use for a home studio, it really kept coming up glue to do the attachment.
I had put them up temporarily with push pins and that got some ideas flowing. I still needed something more permanent than that but much less destructive than glue. So I went to the office supply store and discovered T-Pins. These are about an inch and a half long thin nail sized pins, folded into a T at the top (non-affiliated Wal-Mart link if you want an example). I got 100 for something like $4 dollars. They were long enough to go through the foam, but thin enough to not damage the wall (and foam) too much, and the T shape gripped into the foam to keep it on the wall. Here is a close up:
Since I had used a push pin to get the rough idea to hear how it affected the sound it was a pretty straight forward process after that. I used a level and T-pin in a top corner then went to the other top corner. After that I would do the bottom corners and I ended up putting one it the top center so it wouldn’t sag. After the first couple it became obvious I would need a thimble or thimble like device. I went with a pair of pliers, but my thumb did end up being sore. Just take it slowly and push as straight as possible. Otherwise you end up bending the pin.
I focused on left and right of the listening position, followed by behind monitors. I also put a couple of panels on the ceiling above the listening position. I’m not sure if that is right but I need to focus on listening to my mixes and other music to see how that works. There was an immediate difference to me in terms of a lot less reflections but my ears are going to have to adjust. Here is a shot of the corner:
I put them in a pattern and the wife was happier with that look. If form is an issue (and it can be) I’m thinking that covering the foam with fabric could be an option. Since mine is in a separate room (home office/studio) it isn’t as much an issue, but I’d like to put something like this in the family room where the entertainment center is and there is little chance those would be allowed as is. I would wrap them around so there was a flap on the back and just pin through the fabric as well onto the wall. Instant color and everything sounds better too!
The last pieces I have to put up are on doors so the t-pins will not work there. I have some smaller Command hooks and am thinking I can add some thread to the foam and hang those from the hooks. I’ll post an update as I finish that since I am not quite sure of the best way to add the thread yet. I’m a bit worried about getting it level.
Hopefully that sparks your own ideas.